Thursday, January 14, 2010

January 17, 2010 We "don't grow into creativity we grow out of it." -Ken Robinson

Digital Students

It's refreshing to see teachers finding creative ways to teach students. I've always felt that creativity is a way of empowerment. By giving students the control of learning in ways that they enjoy is going to teach them life long lessons that they will never forget. Step by step guides does not teach a student, but giving them material to research and and brainstorm ways of figuring a problem out teaches those students for life. It gives students a sense of pride when they can take ownership and teach others what they have learned. To often students are forced to memorized things that they could careless about, and as soon as they do not need that information anymore, they forget it. How is that really teaching? In my opinion, this teacher from Georgia has successful teaching figured out. Giving students the ability to learn the way that they enjoy will teach students material that they will never forget, and that is what education is about.

Ken Robinson

I feel that it would be a safe bet to say, that up till this point in my life, the speech given my Ken Robinson is the most inspirational speech I have heard involving children and their creativity. Children are our future, by taking away the arts and the creativity that these children posses is criminal in my opinion. Face it, when it's time for me to retire, they are going to be the ones telling me whether or not this will be a possibility. Creativity is something that children enjoy, it gives them the power to use their imagination, to teach us adults something highly important which is the way that they think, the way they learn, and the way they can educate others. I feel if we focus on allowing children to be more creative, and less computerized, the world would take an enjoyable change for the better. Creativity is empowerment!


Did you know..3.0?

Oh, how the world changes! Did you know 3.0, blew my mind with facts about technology.. I'm ashamed to admit that I do not read the news paper except for approximately five times a year. I do pride myself in the fact that I watch the morning news, and because of this I always felt like I was an up to date person, understanding the advances that are being made around the world. I always knew that some other countries were more advanced in education then America was, and that the economy is terrible trouble, but I did not know that 25% of India's highest IQ's is greater then America's, or that we are preparing students for jobs that do not even exist. How about the 2010 dictionary has five times as many words then in Shakespeare time. The scariest part of this is that new technology doubles every two years and by 2050, there will be a computer smarter then the human brain! I'm starting to wonder why a college education is so important when in forty to fifty years, there will be no need to have human labor when computers will be doing everything for us. Don't get me wrong, I am so very grateful for the technology that we have today, and I do feel it is necessary to continue to make advances, but maybe we should slow it down a little. The final question in the video was, "What does all this mean?" To me, simply put, it means technology is going to erase then entire human race from ever needing to work again. How great can that really be? Through all of the facts, I cannot help to wonder, how unrealistic can my huge opinion be, does anyone person really know what the future is to hold?

Mr. Winkle

Mr. Winkle is a short video that emphasizes how important education has been throughout the years. Although technology has changed the way we learn so much, the underlying principles are the same. Education is the basis of life, and the growth of world. It may have taken a long time to conduct a trade hundreds of years ago and only a short period of time now days, but the principle remains the same, technology is what have changed. Technology offers many different advances that make life simpler, but education is something that societies have always valued. K

2 comments:

  1. There are plenty of things wrong with America as there are with every country in the world its all a matter of perspective. None of us humans are perfect. Re: Did You Know 3.0?: It is not necessarily a question of if these facts are true but how these facts are presented. When comparisons are made between the populations of India and the United States without mention of the "fact" that there are more than 1 billion people in India and barley 300 million people in the US I have to question the agenda of the author. I am not saying that Mr. Fisch has bad intentions, I am only pointing out that facts like paint colors can be manipulated to create a specific picture. He could have just as easily painted a picture of America that pointed out what was right in this country and how in spite of our downfalls we still lead the world in many ways. When I look at the world objectively I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very true point. People can always manipulate and twist things into what they want them to be. My opinion might have came across more negative then it was intended to be. I believe that technology is an amazing thing, but the rate that it is growing at, can be kinda scary. At the end of the day I agree with Mr. Sullivan, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be either.

    ReplyDelete