Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 24, 2010

Social Media Count

I cannot believe how rapid the numbers grow within just a few seconds. The statistics on youtube downloads and facebook are unreal. I thought I had a small understanding of how much the internet and the tools it supplies were being utilized, but this just blew my mind. I mean sixty new blogs posted in five seconds! Thats just crazy to me. Two hundred and ninety eight iPhone apps were downloaded in those five seconds also. Technology is a great tool that is used at a wide range, this media count proves that.

It's OK to be Technology Illiterate

While, I don't fully understand the comparison made between math and reading, (I'm not any good at math, and no I'm not proud of it,) I do feel that knowing the basics of technology is something that everyone should know. Technology is growing at such a rapid speed in the world, and lets face it, technology rules our world, therefor you have to have some idea and understanding of how to use it. Any teacher, who is passionate about what they do, and truly has a desire to help children learn and excel, would and should be willing to gain as much knowledge as possible to help aid in a child's success, and to me this means learning all aspects of their desired teaching specialty and the basics of technology. Knowledge is power. Yes, teachers have a lot on their plate, but I would think that understanding how to use a computer would help calm down the stress level.

It's not the Technology

I agree with Ms Hines. Technology is an important part of our society, economy, and culture, but it's not the key ingredient to successful teaching or learning. The enthusiasm of the person teaching it and the ability to communicate the points needed to be learned in more then one way is the main ingredient to successful teaching. I think that for anything to be taught in a successful manner the person teaching has to have passion for what they are doing. Without passion what is the point? The world spins on technology, so I do think that it is important to be familiar and, "semi" up to date with the latest technology, but to teach successfully passion is more important the technological smarts.


A vision of Students Today

A vision of students today, is something that I can relate to completely. I'm not only a full time students, but I work full time also. I will be in debt up to my eyeballs from student loans, I pay hundreds of dollars for books that professors require, yet they never require us to open them, and half my teachers know I exist, but could never put "the name with the face." I also have to be a multi-tasker, or nothing will get accomplished in my life. Even though I have all of these stresses of life, I am a lucky one. I am lucky to have the opportunity to attend school and obtain a career of my choice. I am lucky to be able to voice my opinion when needed and come and go as I please. The stresses that are in my life, are stresses that I have chose to inflict upon my life, and I am lucky to have them.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia,

    I like your post a lot, very short and to the point. I too am going to be up to my eyeballs in debt by the time I'm out of school. I also agree that education without passion is pointless. Very well said!

    ReplyDelete