Sunday, February 7, 2010

Feb 7, 2010

Langwitches Blog

I think it's safe to say that most people are uncomfortable talking about a topic that they are unfamiliar with, especially when it comes to technology. I know I always feel very out of place when I'm entered into a conversation that I know nothing about, but I also like listening to what the others are saying, always hoping that I can learn from the conversation. When I was reading Langwitches Blog, I understood and sympathized with the parents that got the "glazed" eye look. Although I sympathized with them, I feel that it is wonderful that they are learning about all the technologies that are dancing around this big world, and how these technologies are teaching kids the same basics and a much more in depth way. To most, myself included, I didn't understand the importance of blogging or teaching wiki, or skyping especially podcasting, but I now see the importance after reading his blog. My goodness these tools teach a lot of hands on life experience that these students will need when they hit the real world. Now, I'm still personally not a fan of podcasts, but I do think they are a great why to practice auditory skills, literacy, presentation skills, and communications skills. Overall, all the tools that I thought were nice to know how to do but kinda unnecessary to teach in a classroom, I now feel are very necessary and very important to teach!

David Tuss- The Trap

Oh how I do love the way this man thinks! I don't think I could agree with him more! Educational traps are all over the place. I truly feel that half the reason that kids get annoyed or bored with school is because most of the time it is boring. Teachers are forced to "buy a program" and teach directly from a book. To me, teaching from a book and not adding any creative process behind it, is forcing students to memorize and forget, and where is the learning in that. I feel as future educators we really need to find a way to teach the standards, but teach them in a way that students are going to enjoy and remember, and take that lesson and apply it to life. I really believe that technology based tools like podcasts, blogging, skyping, and so on are tools that we can use to teach the standards in a creative way.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you a lot on the Langwitches blog! I was very critical about the use of wikis (in fact, I had no idea what they were until this class), blogs, and podcasts in a classroom, but now I know what a great resource these tools are!
    I also agree with the educational traps post! I really dislike the way certain curriculums are forced on teachers. Teachers know the best way, or can figure out a great way, to teach the standards of the state in their own creative way! I know that as a learner, I don't learn well from just being taught boring facts from a book. Great learning experiences include creativity! Great post, Alicia! :)

    ReplyDelete