Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11, 2010

The Zax

Dr. Suess has always been one of my favorite authors because he teaches valuable lessons to people of all ages in such a positive way, that you cannot help but re-evaluate your life and what is evolving around you. When watching Dr. Seuss, The Zax, so many things ran through my mind, the biggest one is the one that I've seen this past week in our local school systems. For another class I have been in and out of elementary classrooms watching teachers struggle to keep students engaged and blowing off those whom they feel need "special attention" and failing to keep the same expectations of them, that they the teachers hold for all the other students. As a future Special Education Teacher, what I would bare witness too was very discouraging and heartbreaking, but these teachers are so set it their, "ZAX" ways that they refuse to see that they need to hold the expectations of all children to the same level, and by not doing so they are doing a huge disservice to all their students. Being a student myself I see a constant struggle between teachers and students, teachers yelling I want it done this way, students yelling back it's not working or I don't agree! In my opinion there has to be some sort of common ground compromise where we the students recognize that the teachers are here to educate us, and where the teachers recognize that we need to have our minds stimulated to learn in ways other then what they are use too. As students and future teachers, I think that it is important for us to listen to what our future students have to say. I think it is important for us to learn as much from them and they are learning from us. I think that we need to treat all students fair and hold the same expectations, and challenge our students in a way that will encourage and empower them. It's the twentieth century people, learn to compromise, engage in active learning, and always be ready and willing to change and accommodate the learning styles of all students!

Landslide

Endless opportunity!!!! That is my simple answer to the question, why is it important for students to post their work to a blog!!! The internet and the connections that you make on here are unbelievable. What a wonderful learning experience and an amazing family that you create when you open your mind to a world you are unfamiliar with. As anyone who knows me can tell you that I feel there are parts of this class that I find to be a little bit ridiculous when it comes to requirements. It's nice to know about twitter and skype and delicious, but using them, not my favorite thing! On the other hand, I feel that this class has opened my eyes to a world that I would have continued to stay away from. I would not have blogged, I would not have created amazing learning network, I would not have known about all of the amazing resources out there such as ALEX and ACESS, I would not have connected with so many amazing students from all over the world, and the ps22 class would not have had the opportunity to sing with Stevie Nicks if it weren't for all of this amazing technology and the internet! I have learned so much from this class, I have made amazing connections with teachers and students here and thousands of miles away and for that I am very grateful! It's all about endless opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on virtually everything you said! Having the ability to learn from our students is what's going to set us effective teachers apart from the Zaxs. Knowing about technology will enhance our ability to reach our own students and others from all over the world, make a connection, and begin learning communities that can last lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete