Thursday, April 22, 2010

Google Docs Form Merged Curriculum

Recently, the University of South Alabama's Education department has been making some serious changes with a merged curriculum between the Special Education curriculum and the Elementary Education curriculum. My survey asked the burning questions of do Education Majors know about the new curriculum, will it affect them, and do they think it's a good idea. This is what I found.

61% of student's knew about the new curriculum
39% of student's did not know about the new curriculum
44% of students were leaving the Education program or were very unhappy about the changes
39% were unknown on their feelings toward the changes
17% were for the change
Although most people are unhappy about the changes an overwhelming 89% felt that the changes were a good idea and would be beneficial to both teachers and students, the other 11% felt that it would not be beneficial.

My opinion on this matter varies. I am a Special Education major whom is in love with the idea of helping student's who require extra time, patience, and attention. I feel like I was born to work with special needs children; I also feel that there is only a select few people whom have this drive and passion. This is where the problem arises. Because special needs student's require more attention and patience not all people have the drive to help them, so why force someone who doesn't share the same passion that I do to major in this area. Regular Ed teachers have the passion and drive to work with a regular classroom, and they are born to do that where I am not! I do feel with the inclusion laws that regular Ed teachers are not prepared enough to properly handle special needs student's and therefore should be required to take a few extra classes, but I don't feel that either major should be forced into learning something that they are not passionate about. I think the merged curriculum should be a choice and not a requirement.

University of South Alabama Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment