Friday, April 30, 2010

My Honest Reflection

1. Throughout this semester in EDM I have learned so much valuable information. I have truly enjoyed watching all of the videos and have learned that I love to blog! Blogging is a great way for me to get all of my thoughts out in a very non confrontational, professional manor, and I adore it! The most valuable thing that I am walking away with from this class is the wonderful connections that I have made from my EDM classmates and the world wide connections that I have made. I have learned so much as an individual and as a part of the EDM group. I have enjoyed learning the wonderful tools that google offers, and find that the ACCESS and ALEX resources will be my best friend when I get into the classroom. I still to this day will say that skype, delicious, and twitter are my least favorite tools, but can understand how some enjoy them. I LOVE VIDEO CASTS! This was one of the most challenging, yet fun things that I have learned, and will use this amazing tool to teach and continue to learn with!!! One of my favorite activities was comments4kids! I loved this project. The reason that I loved it so much is because it was about kids, and that is what I am most passionate about. It gave us all an opportunity to see the creative side that students possess!

2. I cannot think of anything more that I would have liked to have learned from this class. There was an overabundance of information that we have learned, all in which I am very grateful for. This class has opened my eyes to an entirely new world, that I am loving being a part of.

3. There are not things that I learned in this class that I will try to forget. I believe any type of knowledge is power, and am grateful for what I have learned in this class. However, there are things that were required like skype, twitter, and delicious, that I found to be on my, "I don't like this" list. I think that what we have been required to learn is invaluable to all who take this class.

4. There were a few things in this class that excited me, video cast, comments4kids, and blogging, were all things that I was very excited about, and continued to get excited about. I will say that I was extremely excited about the google earth project until I encountered a ridiculous amount of issues with it, and wanted to pull my hair out and cry by the time it was over! The reason that video cast excited me so much is because it was something that you could do and get as creative with it as you wanted. Blogging excited me because it was a way for me to express myself without doing it verbally. I love to write, so any opportunity I get to do so, I highly enjoy! Comments4kids was my favorite because it was direct interaction with my favorite thing in the entire world and that was children!!!

5. I don't think that there was anything that was required in this class that was intellectually challenging to the point that I could not accomplish it. I think in any kind of learning environment you face challenges and hardships, but that is how and when you learn the most. Life is full of challenges, but its how you overcome those challenges that will make you or break you.

6. I think that some of the videos on explaining how to accomplish something got a little out of hand and boring, but I don't think that there was ever a point in my mind where I was so bored that I wanted to just lay down and take a nap.

7. The one thing that I would change in this class is the organization of things. It seems to me like it took till about the middle of the semester for all of us to really catch on to where we were to find everything and the expectation that were required of us. I think that it would be useful to require students to attend every class, even if it does get dismissed early so that way it wouldn't take as long to catch on to the way the blog is set up or the assigned work that needed to be done. I would also take out making twitter, delicious, and skype as requirements. I think they are tools you could mention, but making us open accounts with all of them is a little absurd in my opinion.

8. I think that I am a comfortable level of being technology literate. The biggest thing for me is that I now know where to find the resources that I need if I don't understand a technological problem. I feel confident in the fact that I will be able to continue to grow my PLN and properly teach my future students on creating one as well. This class has shown me a world of resources that invaluable to further educating myself and those I come in contact with.

9. I think that by continuing to grow my PLN I will continue to be challenged in a way that will force me to further my technological literacy so I can, "keep up with the Jones." By learning to use the resources that you have taught us in this class such as ACCESS, ALEX, all google docs, and so much more I think I can actively further my literacy just by continuing to keep in close contact with my PLN members and using these resources.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honest reflections Alicia. You made some valuable suggestions and observations. Your feedback is much appreciated.

    I'm glad you like blogging. This is a wonderful teaching tool and like you said offers students the opportunity to express themselves in multiple ways. I'm confident you will find creative ways to use blogs when you teach.

    Finally, I like your attitude about the PLN. Like you said keep it up and it will reap great rewards in the future.

    thanks again for your feedback and keep me posted on how you are doing. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and Skype on your "don't like list". Wow! That is surprising! You would get some support from your fellow classmates on Delicious (but NOT me - it makes the web so much more useful!) but Skype? You are the only one so far and I am almost through with all the final reflections posts!

    And you like Vodeocasts but not Skype? Another Wow!

    I have learned NEVER to make decisions without trying something. "I would also take out making twitter, delicious, and skype as requirements." These are three of my favorite tools. And many students would agree with one or two or even three of them. You don't have to like them or use them. But I want YOU to make that decision, not me!

    "I think that it would be useful to require students to attend every class..." You really are different from your classmates! You might even get hung in effigy for that position. I tried it this year, but will let students choose next fall. They might "hang themselves" as a result, but we shall see.

    Good luck! Be careful around your classmates!

    ReplyDelete